Saturday, October 1, 2011

What Would Magellan Do?


Over the years I've fallen in love with the idea of traveling to every part of the world and learning new cultures. I was brought up in a house where we were are very international. I grew up knowing people from both Mexico and France, and picking up sayings and parts of their cultures. This is what makes who I am, and from a very little age I wanted to learn more about other people's cultures. Here is an example of how I was brought up:

It’s 7 am on a Sunday morning; my parents, dog and I are all gathered around the television waiting for kick off. Not American Football, like most families, but Arsenal, the soccer team apart of the Barclay’s Premiere League from England. We watch the game, and at half time my dad makes breakfast, usually potatoes, bacon and some sort of style of egg, it’s always delicious, my mom makes tea. The second half of game we are cheering for our Gunners. After the game we get ready for the day, and start to get ready for when my Grandfather and Godmother come over for our weekly Sunday Night dinners. When preparing dinner, my dad plays music, usually classical, French, or Brazilian; it all depends on his mood. We are all usually humming or dancing when we hear the music. If someone sneezes we either reply saying “gazuntite” or “salute!”.

This post is called what it's called because it was a saying my friend and I constantly said while we were in Portugal. We would say this when we couldn’t decide where to go, or which direction to take. Why Magellan? He was an explorer and it had a nice ring to it.

I know it sounds cliché to go off the beaten path, but I must say it is the best way to go. Having this attitude, I was able to see so much of different places. In Portugal alone, I went to a traditional Portuguese dance hall, and I’ve learned to make traditional Portuguese chorizos on a ceramic grill. My advice? Go out and explore, and don’t always follow what the guide says.


I created a blog entitled "What Would Magellan Do?" and  would love for you to follow it. It has everything to do about travel. You can also check it out on Wordpress.  (It will permanently live here after this semester)

No comments:

Post a Comment